Wednesday, March 30, 2011

WIP Wednesday-Handspun Mitered Afghan Squares

It's WIP Wednesday and I've been spindle spinning my Phat Fiber contributor box samples while my GF and I watch movies and relax in the evenings.

One of the women on the Phat Fiber Ravelry Group forum inspired me with her own similar project, to knit my little handspun mini skeins into mitered afghan squares.

This is the perfect project for me! I love making small, repetitive pieces that travel easily and give me some instant gratification, but that are assembled into one impressive whole project.

Why did I not think of this myself, and sooner? I grew up sewing scrap quilts with my grandmother, so this definitely touches a special place in my heart. Plus the little skeins and little squares are so cute! 

7 comments:

  1. Beautiful yarn! Thanks for sharing. I especially love the sea green/teal ones!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! It's hard to choose which one to knit up next! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a great idea! You have a lot of beautiful mini-skeins to work with.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great idea for all of your little samples. I don't purchase from the Phat sampler but I always have bits of leftover handspun from various projects so...one day I might knit a squared afghan.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you! It's great to try so many different creations from the great group of Phat Fiber contributors!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love all the pretty pretty colors though am not up to speed to know what phat is.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The Phat Fiber Sampler Box is a mystery box of all kinds of fiber arts samples. Every month there is a theme and the contributors (I am one of them) put together samples of yarn, spinning fiber, stitch markers, buttons, patterns...all kinds of things that match the theme (although they don't have to, but that's half the fun).

    The boxes go on sale once a month and it's quite competitive for people to get them. You can get a yarn box, a fluff box (just spinning fiber), or a mixed box.

    Each box has about 20 amazing samples and oodles of coupons from the contributors! It's a great way to try out lots of indie fiber arts folks without getting stuck with a whole skein or batt of something you don't really like.

    As a contributor if I donate 50 samples or more (which I always do) then I get a free box of my own! That's what I show spun up in my picture. :)

    ReplyDelete